Incorporated in 1956, the Village of Pemberton is located within the unceded Territory of the Lil'wat Nation. Located a 30-minute drive north of the Resort Municipality of Whistler on Highway 99, the area encompasses an area of approximately six (6) square kilometers and located 8000' below the rugged peak of Mount Currie. The Village is the hub for the Pemberton Valley area and home to 2574 residents (2016 Census).
Named for Joseph Despard Pemberton, a Surveyor General for the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1850's, "Port Pemberton" first appeared on a map in 1859. One of the supply stops that sprung up to service the influx of gold seekers, Port Pemberton was originally situated at the north end of Lillooet Lake where travelers would dock to continue their journey overland to present-day Lillooet.