Voter information

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives Canadian citizens the right to vote. The Village of Pemberton uses voting day registration, which means eligible voters are simply required to prove who they are at the time of voting to participate. 

Please bring with you two (2) pieces of identification one of which must show your signature.

You may register to vote as a resident elector or a non-resident property elector.

Acceptable Identification

  • a driver's licence
  • an identification card such as a photo or non-photo BC Services card
  • an owner's certificate of insurance and vehicle licence as issued by ICBC
  • a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance form (EA181)
  • a social insurance number card
  • a citizenship card
  • a real property tax notice
  • a credit card or debit card
  • a utility bill

An election official may accept other documents that provide evidence satisfactory to the election official such as a valid, current passport. 

Voter eligibility - who can vote?

You are eligible to vote in the Village of Pemberton if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
  • are a Canadian citizen;
  • have lived in British Columbia for at least six months immediately before you register to vote;
  • are not disqualified by the Local Government Act, or any other Act, or the Courts from voting in a local election.
  • qualify as either a Resident Elector or Non-resident Property Elector

You must make a solemn declaration that you meet these requirements.

You do not need to own property to vote as a resident elector.

To vote as a Resident Elector, you must be a resident of Pemberton.  

To vote as a Non-resident Property Elector, you must have owned property in Pemberton for at least 30 days and have the written consent of the majority of other property owners to vote on their behalf. Non-resident property electors must show the title of the property (or other proof of property ownership) in relation to which they are voting. Only one non-resident property owner may vote, regardless of how many people own the property.
Consent Form, Non-resident Property Elector

Landed immigrants and corporations are not eligible to vote.

Assistance with voting and curbside voting at the voting place

If you are unable to mark, read or translate your ballot, an election official, friend or relative may assist you, after making a solemn declaration to not influence you and to keep your vote secret.

If you can travel to the voting place  (Pemberton and District Community Centre), but find it difficult to get out of your car and into the building, you may request 'curb side' voting and election officials will bring your ballot to you! Send someone into the voting place, or call 604-894-6135 to request 'curb side voting' when you arrive to vote.

Mark the ballot by placing an (X) next to the name of the candidate you wish to vote for. If you spoil your ballot inadvertently, ask an election official for a new ballot. After marking your ballot, fold the ballot and place it in the ballot boxes which will be located in the voting place.

Mail Ballots

  • Mail ballot packages may be requested by contacting the Village office between 9am, Monday, September 19 and 4pm, Friday, October 14, 2022 (excluding weekends and statutory holidays) and on General Voting Day at the Pemberton and District Community Centre until 4pm.
  • You are responsible for ensuring that your completed ballot and documents are received by the Chief Election Officer before the close of voting at 8 p.m. on Saturday, October 15, 2022

  • Voters may submit their mail ballot applications by hand, mail or other delivery service. Applications forms are available online and at the front desk of the Village of Pemberton office during business hours. Mail Ballot Application Form 

Do I live in the Village of Pemberton or Regional District?

Confused about whether you are a resident or property owner of the Village of Pemberton or the Squamish Lillooet Regional District (SLRD)?  If you pay taxes to the Village, your property is within the Village. If you pay taxes to the Province of BC, your property is in the SLRD. You may also check the Village of Pemberton Boundary Map or the Village of Pemberton Street Names List, or call the Village Office to confirm.

If you are an SLRD resident you will be eligible to vote for an SLRD Area Director but not for Village Council. 

General Municipal Election contacts

Chief Election Officer
Sheena Fraser, Manager of Corporate and Legislative Services
Office Hours Telephone: 604-894-6135 ext 228
Email Sheena

Elections B.C.

Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing – Local Elections

Ministry of Education – School Trustee Elections

School District No. 48 (Sea to Sky) - School Trustee Elections