Home Owner Grant
Home Owner Grant Information
The Home Owner Grant is one of three property tax assistance programs offered by the province. The program began in 1957 to help homeowners reduce the amount of taxes they pay on their home. The Home Owner Grant program includes the following types of grants:
More about the Home Owner Grant program
Basic Home Owner Grant Eligibility
To be eligible for the basic grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant and ordinarily reside in British Columbia.
- You are the registered owner or eligible occupant of the home. The home must be located within the province.
- The home is your principal residence -where you live and conduct your daily activities. The grant does not apply to summer cottages, second homes or rental properties.
- Spouses who live together, including those who are married or who live together in a marriage-like relationship, including same-gender partners, can qualify for a grant on only one residence in the province in a calendar year.
- Spouses who live apart can each claim a grant on their principal residence if they have a written separation agreement or a court order recognizing the separation.
Additional Home Owner Grant
As announced in 2009, a northern and rural home owner benefit is also available to tax payers residing in the Village of Pemberton who meet the requirements for the basic Home Owner Grant.
Seniors, persons with permanent physical disabilities and veterans may be eligible for an additional grant.
You may be eligible if you must meet the criteria for the basic grant, plus one of the following.
- 65 or will be turning 65 during the current year,
- receiving a disability allowance under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act,
- permanently disabled or you have a disabled spouse or relative residing with you permanently,
- a veteran or spouse of a veteran who served in World War I, World War II or the Korean War, receiving an allowance under the War Veterans Allowance Act (Canada) or the Civilian War-related Benefits Act (Canada).
By completing and submitting your Home Owner Grant, you will automatically be applying for both the basic Home Owner Grant and the Northern and Rural Home Owner Benefit.
If you are applying for the additional grant, you do not need to apply separately for the basic grant. The two amounts will be calculated together. Complete section 2 of the Home Owner Grant application.
Retroactive Home Owner Grant
It's not too late! If you did not claim your Home Owner Grant last year but were eligible, you can still apply for a retroactive Home Owner Grant.
More about Retroactive the Home Owner Grant