Bylaw Services

Bylaws are municipal legislation enactments used to protect the welfare, safety and health of the residents and to promote community standards.

Our aim is to increase public awareness and to educate so that residents understand the importance of Village bylaws and comply voluntarily.  Other than issues that are health and safety related, we rely on our community to report infractions so that we can educate and, if necessary, enforce.

Bylaws are passed by Village Council, maintained by the Corporate and Legislative Services department, and enforced by the bylaw enforcement officer. Bylaws regulate matters including zoning, building, parking, animal control, wildlife attractants, noise levels, and licensing.

To appeal a bylaw offence ticket, complete a Bylaw Offence Appeal Form and submit it to the Village Office.

(Please note, to complete or email a PDF, you must first save the PDF to your computer.  If using a MAC, do not use MAC Preview to complete the form as it will corrupt the file).

To report a noise complaint after hours, please contact the RCMP.

For lost and found animals after hours, please contact PAWS at 604 966 1185 or WAG at 604 935 8364.

Please note: the Village will refer internal strata matters the strata council. 

Related Documents

Bylaw Enforcement Policy

Department Contacts


Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Lisa Regenwetter
Phone: 604.894.6135 x 241
Email Lisa




Make a Bylaw Complaint or Report an Infraction

The Village has adopted a Bylaw Enforcement Policy which establishes that the Village relies primarily, but not exclusively, on citizen complaints as a means of enforcing regulatory bylaws. Bylaw complaints must be submitted in writing and include the following information:  a description of the nature of the infraction, the date, time and specific location of the infraction, and contact information of the complainant.

You may submit complaints the following ways:

  • Report an Issue online
  • By email to
  • In person at 7400 Prospect Street, Pemberton BC V0N 2L0
  • By mail to Village of Pemberton, Box 100, Pemberton BC V0N 2L0

Please note that we cannot act on a complaint without the provision of your name, address, phone number and details of your complaint.  

Considerations Before Submitting a Bylaw Complaint

Bylaw complaint information is confidential and will not be released, except as required under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or otherwise as required by law. The Village may require you to act as a witness should a bylaw complaint case proceed to court.   

Often complaints can be resolved amicably between neighbours. Whenever possible, residents should attempt to resolve their disputes before contacting the bylaw officer for assistance. 

I have a noise complaint.  Who do I talk to?

Several agencies deal with noise issues. 

Bylaw Services

Contact Bylaw Services by phoning 604.894.6135, emailing, or reporting an issue online. 

 for the following types of noise:

  • Barking dogs
  • Car alarms
  • Residential noise


Phone the RCMP non-emergency line at 604.894.6634 for the following types of noise:

  • Car alarms after hours
  • House alarms
  • Residential noise after hours and late-night
  • Village noise late night

Strata Properties

Contact your strata council or manager to report noise in your strata complex.

Transport Canada

Phone Transport Canada at 1-800-305-2059 to report noise or nuisance from:

  • Helicopters
  • Planes
  • Drones