Development Permits

The Provincial Government has provided municipal councils with the ability to regulate certain aspects of a development that are not directly addressed in the Zoning Bylaw or the Building Bylaw. For instance, for commercial development, Council can establish guidelines for the general type of exterior finish of the buildings and landscapes features, and then require that all proposals meet these guidelines. Once Council is satisfied that a proposal would meet all the guidelines that have been established, a Development Permit can then be issued.

A Development Permit is not a Building Permit. Once you have obtained your Development Permit, you can then apply for a Building Permit.

Development Permits are for land designated in Development Permit Areas. These areas are designated in the Pemberton OCP and are designated for purposes such as protecting the natural environment, farming, or revitalizing a commercial area.

Development permits are required if one would like to:

  • Subdivide land;
  • Construct, add to, or alter a building or structure; or
  • Alter land within an area designated for protection of the natural environment, or protection of development from hazardous conditions.

For more information on Development Permits, please refer to Development Procedures Bylaw No. 887, and reference applicable sections in your potential permit application. 

Before applying for a permit, a pre-application meeting with the Village’s Development Services team, is required. Email to schedule a meeting.

You can find a list of active development applications here: Current Development Application Listings

Building Permits

The Village issues Building Permits as a means of regulating construction to ensure compliance with the applicable Village bylaws and Provincial regulations. To ensure that buildings are constructed and facilities are installed in accordance with appropriate regulations, municipalities have been empowered to undertake inspections.

For more information on Building Permits, visit Building Services.


Development Variance Permit

A Development Variance Permit (DVP) requires approval from Council to vary the regulations(s) of the Zoning Bylaw, the Subdivision and Development Control Bylaw, or the Sign Bylaw for non-conforming development approvals.

If your project does not conform to a Bylaw, a variance is required. Staff are diligent in consideration of variances, and will consider each application on an individual and site specific basis. Staff will then make a recommendation of support or non-support to Council for consideration. Take time to review the bylaws and communicate with our planner or Development Services Department prior to applying for a variance.

As part of the development variance permitting process, a sign will be posted on your property detailing the nature of the variance, and your neighbours will be informed and given an opportunity to comment.

A Development Variance Permit can not vary the land use or density. If approved by Council, a Development Variance Permit is registered on title and will expire after 2 years if the development has not commenced.


Minor/Major Development Permits

Major/Minor Development Permit Process:

  1. Pre-application Meeting
  2. Complete Application Submission
    • Including supporting documentation, Title Charges, Fee payments
  3. Information Sign
    • Required for OCP amendment, ZBL Amendment, Major DP, DVP, TUP
  4. Internal and External Review
  5. Advisory Planning Commission
  6. Proposal Revision
  7. Council Consideration

Before applying for a permit, a pre-application meeting with the Village’s Development Services team, is required. Email to schedule a meeting.


Rezoning/OCP Amendment

Zoning Bylaw Amendment (rezoning): A Zoning Bylaw Amendment (or rezoning) is required if the proposed development or use is not permitted under the existing zone. The zoning amendment must be in accordance with the OCP.

OCP Amendment: This is required when a proposed development is not consistent with the OCP, OCP policies or land use designation. You are applying to legally amend the OCP Bylaw to permit a proposed use. This usually requires a rezoning application.

  1. Pre-application meeting
  2. Complete application submission
  3. Information sign
  4. Early and ongoing public consultation
  5. Internal and external review
  6. Public information meeting
  7. Advisory planning commission referral
  8. Proposal revision
  9. Bylaw adoption process (first/second reading)
  10. Notice of public hearing
  11. Statutory public hearing
  12. Third reading
  13. Fourth and final reading (adoption)

Before applying for a permit, a pre-application meeting with the Village’s Development Services team, is required. Email to schedule a meeting.



Site Alteration Permits

To ensure that clearing of a site will only take place if development is imminent, and to reduce the risk that lands will be cleared and sit empty for long periods of time, the Village of Pemberton has implemented a Site Alteration Permit process. Site Alteration Permits are not permitted in a Development Permit area unless all permits are in place. 

Do I need a Site Alteration Permit?

Anyone wishing to make alterations to their property must apply for and be issued a Site Alteration Permit. Exceptions are made, for example, if depositing or removing less than 10 cubic metres of soil in a calendar year (refer to 7.0 Permit Exemptions).  Please note that a condition of the Site Alteration Permit issuance is that all other permits and permissions, for example a Development Permit, Development Variance Permit, or Temporary Use Permit, must first be in place.    

For more information, refer to Site Alteration Bylaw 822, 2017, October 2021 Consolidation

Applications are accepted through Cloudpermit, our digital permitting software.

Please head to the Building Services page for more information on submitting an application. Please read our Site Alteration Application Guide to find out if you need a permit.



The Provincial Government has granted municipalities the power to regulate the subdivision of land. Subdivision is the legal mechanism to create new parcels of land.  The subdivision process is governed by the Municipality's zoning and subdivision bylaws and the Provincial Government's Land Title Act and Local Government Act.

Download the Subdivision Application Form

When is a Subdivision Required?

In the case where a property owner wants to create a new fee simple parcel of land (not including Strata) out of an existing parcel, then subdivision approval is required.  Subdivision can take the following forms:

  • consolidating two or more parcels into one parcel;
  • adjusting or realigning an existing property line; or
  • creating several parcels from one or more existing parcels.

Please see Subdivision and Development Control Bylaw and Schedules (Bylaw 677)  and Development Procedures Bylaw No. 887 for more details.

Before applying for a permit, a pre-application meeting with the Village’s Development Services team, is required. Email to schedule a meeting.


More Information

For more information or to schedule a pre-application meeting, contact the Development Services team at