Smoking Regulation Bylaw No. 637, 2009
WHY a Smoking Bylaw?
There is NO safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke.
According to Vancouver Coastal Health, second-hand smoke contains
more than 50 cancer-causing chemicals and can cause lung cancer,
breast cancer and heart disease in non-smoking adults, low birth
weight, sudden infant death syndrome, childhood cancers, asthma and
respiratory problems in children.
With the goal of becoming a healthier community, The Village of Pemberton has implemented a Gold Standard Smoking Regulation Bylaw. Like other communities in BC such as Whistler, The City of Richmond and Vancouver, Pemberton acknowledges the proven health risks of second hand smoke and is committed to leading by example for other communities.
WHAT is the Smoking Regulation Bylaw?
Download the Smoking Bylaw Bylaw 637, 2009
The Village of Pemberton Bylaw 637, 2009 states:
(1) The Operator of any of the following:
- Retail Establishment;
- Personal Services Establishment;
- Hospital or Health clinic;
- Food Service Establishment;
- Taxicab or a public bus;
- Place of Public Assembly;
- Billiard or Pool Hall;
- Licenced Establishment;
- Any other Building, Structure, vehicle, place or area that is Fully or Substantially Enclosed and is a place to which the public is ordinarily invited or permitted access, whether or not a fee is charged for entry, or is a prescribed place under the Tobacco Control Act (B.C.), must not cause, permit or allow a person to smoke while within any such Building, Structure, vehicle, place, or area and must not cause, permit or allow a person to smoke within six (6)metres from a doorway, window or air intake of the Building, Structure, place, or area.
HOW does the Smoking Regulation Bylaw Affect My Business?
Business owners and their employees will be required to post bylaw compliant signage, remove ashtrays, and take steps to ensure that smoking does not take place on their premises. In the case an establishment is deemed to have committed an infraction or an offence against the bylaw, a fine of $150-$1000 will be applied.
HOW should the decals be used?
Business are required to display stickers on entry door ways or on an adjacent window. If your business is a restaurant, table tent cards are provided for display on tables and/or on the bar. It is requirement of the Smoking Regulation Bylaw 637 to display Bylaw compliant No Smoking Signs. If you have not received your decals in the post, or require more, please contact the Village Office at 604.894.6135 or admin @ pemberton.ca.
WHERE can I find the entire bylaw?
To view the complete Smoking Regulation Bylaw No. 637, please
visit www.pemberton.ca and go to the bylaw section. Should you have
any questions, please contact the Village Office.
Download a pdf version of the Smoking Regulation Bylaw 'Guide for Pemberton Businesses'.
Thank you for helping make Pemberton a healthier community!